The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, January 08, 2018

Star Wars - Micro Review

Against my better judgement, upon returning from Nevada, I was talked into going to see the newest "Star Wars" film with the whole family.  Please do not get me wrong, I really, really enjoy going to see movies.  In fact, we had gone to see the film, "The Greatest Showman" recently, and it was absolutely wonderful!  So, I am not opposed to going to see good films!

My trepidation and reluctance to see the latest "Star Wars" film was not due to any full-blown dislike of the Star Wars genre.  I have in fact, seen most of the films.  Some have been pretty good and one or two have been fairly bad.  But, the films are generally ok.  And, push-come-to-shove, I would say that the most current "Star Wars" film was reasonably interesting and had a respectably interesting plot (for a "Star Wars" film, which traditionally are very thin in terms of plot).  I actually enjoyed the character of the now aged Luke Skywalker, and also enjoyed the character of Princess Leah as well as the three younger main characters (Kylo Ren, Rey, & Finn).  I even enjoyed the new character added of Rose. 

But, what made me initially resist going to this new "Star Wars" film were three factors:

1.  The NOISE.  The constant deep bass sounds and the constant gunfire and other weapons sounds are so very loud in the theater.... and perhaps I have excessively sensitive hearing, but it is loud enough to me and chaotic enough to be painful. 

2.  The numerous, long battle scenes.  One thing that is a guarantee in a "Star Wars" film, is that about half the movie will be battle scenes.  For me, all these "special" effects in the battle scenes become repetitive very quickly and with these being the portions of the movie that are usually where all the NOISE comes in as well, makes the battle scenes not my favorite. 

3.  Finally, the fact that this film was clocked at over 2.5 hours.... meaning at least one full hour (and probably 1.5 - 2 hours)  would be noisy, battle scenes did not enthrall me. 

My solution:  I wore ear plugs to the film.  The noisy battles were diminished in intensity.  I also freely let my mind wander to other more interesting things during battle scenes.  The sound in the theater was loud enough even with my ear plugs that I could hear all the dialogue in the actual plot as well. 

So, I guess overall, I was happy I went to see the film with the family, and I am also happy I had ear plugs.... it reduced greatly the parts I was dreading.    Overall, I am a much bigger "Star TREK" fan.... mostly because of a more complex plot, more character development, and fewer noisy battle scenes.  I like to see the "Star Trek" movies without any reservations. :)

PipeTobacco


6 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

When I was still going to the movies, I learned about the earplugs. The only problem in the theaters is when the dialog goes from "whisper, whisper, whisper," to "BLAM, BOOM! and CRASH!" So now, I wait for it to come out on CD and watch it at home with the sound down and the closed captioning on. :-)

Monday, 08 January, 2018  
Blogger Jono said...

If I get to see it I'll try to remember ear plugs.

Monday, 08 January, 2018  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

lucky? for me Im hard of hearing and can turn my ears down.

Tuesday, 09 January, 2018  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Ear plugs! What a great idea. Oh and aren't long battle scenes so boring? It was the same in Lord of the Rings. Just an opportunity for special effects to show off.

Tuesday, 09 January, 2018  
Blogger Jay said...

I hear you! I feel exactly the same about movies these days - too much sound and fury, too many special effects. I am a self-confessed space opera junkie and recently watched the Star Wars prequel 'Rogue One'. The noise of battle and gutteral special effects were very wearing, and yes, this was a long movie at over two hours. I did enjoy it, but I have no desire to see it again. In fact it left me with a distinct yen to watch the original Star Wars movie, which I thought loud at the time, but now I remember fondly as quite peaceful!

Tuesday, 09 January, 2018  
Blogger MRMacrum said...

I can't add anything to the chorus. Damn what a bunch of ole farts we are.

Tuesday, 09 January, 2018  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home