The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, January 15, 2018

99 Word Essay - "Wet Ink"

I am writing again for the 99-Word Essay for the flash fiction group I am joining.  This flash fiction group is called "Carrot Ranch Literary Community" The topic this week is "wet ink".  My submission is below the asterisk line.  I hope you enjoy my effort:

* * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * *

“I used to write with these damn things all the time!”  he huffed, looking at the smear of the still wet ink that obscured his words on the page and had blued the edge of his hand. 

Grimacing in a way that turned his broad, bushy mustache downward at the ends, gave his face a sour expression.  Casting the fountain pen aside, he instead picked up his trusty pipe.  Swiftly lighting the crumbles of leaf in the bowl, he squinted through the smoke, down at the ruined page.  He furrowed his brow in frustration.

“I cannot write this again!”

* * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * *

PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

It's good to see you doing something besides 'the same old ...'
I hope things are doing better!

Monday, 15 January, 2018  
Blogger Forsythia said...

What Sharon said. You get a "YAY" for effort. I empathize with the character's frustration with a leaky pen

Tuesday, 16 January, 2018  
Blogger Charli Mills said...

Your flash expresses both the frustration of smearing the ink, and the solace found in another familiar instrument -- the pipe.

Thursday, 18 January, 2018  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home